March 2013 Lecture Thursday, March 21, 2013,
12:15 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Denton 1913 Presented by: Lavon Fulwiler
Lavon Fulwiler has long been interested in the history of Denton and Denton County. In 1853 her paternal ancestors migrated from Kentucky to southeastern Denton County, before the City of Denton was founded. As a fifth-generation resident of the County and a resident of Denton since early 1936, she has been fascinated by stories passed down in the family by word of mouth over the various generations.
These stories encompass information about travels by covered wagon, the perils of crossing the Red River, establishing new homes in North Texas, and participating in the building and growth of new towns and cities.
Join us in the Courthouse-on-the-Square Commissioners Courtroom for a viewing of Lavon’s film, Denton 1913. The film depicts the activities of people living in Denton in 1913 with a parade of students from both the public schools and the two colleges in the city at that time. Further, it regards materials about the businesses and industries of Denton.
Lavon Fulwiler holds the degrees of Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts from the institution now known as the University of North Texas and the Doctor of Philosophy degree from Michigan State University. Her early professional affiliations were as a teacher at Denton Junior High School, Freer High School, and Arlington State College, now the University of Texas at Arlington, for a total of ten years.
In 1961 she joined the English faculty of the Texas Woman’s University, where she taught for thirty-one years, including eleven years as Chairman of the Department of English before her retirement in 1992. In 1985 she was granted the Cornaro Outstanding Professor Award by the University.
All Denton Courthouse Museum exhibits and lectures are free and open to the public. The courthouse has handicapped parking and accessibility through the north entrance.
The Courthouse-on-the-Square Museum is located in the historic Denton County Courthouse at
110 W. Hickory in Denton, TX.